Department Information This position is open only to Colorado state residents.
This position is open only to Colorado state residents.
Physical Job location:
Zebulon Pike Youth Services Center
1427 W. Rio Grande St
Colorado Springs CO 80905
About the Division of Youth Services: The Division of Youth Services (DYS) provides a continuum of residential and non-residential services that encompass juvenile detention, commitment and parole. DYS is the agency statutorily mandated to provide for the care and supervision of youth committed by the District Court to the custody of the Colorado Department of Human Services. The Division operatesten secure facilities that serve youth between the ages of 10 and 21, who are pre-adjudicated, sentenced, or committed. The Division also contracts with numerous private residential and non-residential service providers throughout the State. For pre-adjudicated youth, the Division is also responsible for the management and oversight of Senate Bill 91-94; a State-funded, locally administered program that provides services to youth at risk of further progressing into the juvenile justice system. In addition to residential programming, the Division administers juvenile parole services throughout the State.Division of Youth Services Mission:It is the mission of the Division of Youth Services to protect, restore and improve public safety through a continuum of services and programs that: Effectively supervise juvenile offenders, promote offender accountability to victims and communities, and build skills and competencies of youth to become responsible citizens. The Division also adheres to the concepts embodied in the Five Core Values and the Five Key Strategies, which are shown below.
We invite you to explore the DYS website and learn about the services provided to youth, families, and local communities in the State of Colorado at:www.colorado.gov/cdhs/dys
In addition to a great location and rewarding, meaningful work, we offer:
- Distinctive career advancement opportunities throughout the state system
- Strong, secure, yet flexible retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA Defined Contribution Plan plus 401K and 457 plans
- Medical and Dental Health Plans
- Paid life insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- 10 Paid Holidays per year
- State of Colorado's Work-Life Employee discount Program offers a variety of discounts on services and products to State employees
Description of Job
Summary of this position:
The work unit exists to provide academic, vocational, and other education-related services to youth in institutional facilities, to provide professional consultation to community programs which serve DYS youth, and to establish and maintain collaboration with other state and community agencies that provide or monitor education services. The position within the education work unit exists to provide, manage, and coordinate mental health support services, provide behavioral supports and interventions, special education mental health or social emotional assessments, provide facility based training and consultation regarding behavior or mental health supports within the school settings.
This position supports all facets of the educational system to include students, school personnel, and the stakeholder community. This position exists to provide the broad knowledge of school systems, educational law, curriculum and instruction, classroom and behavior management, models for working with diverse populations including people with disabilities, and models for consultation and school-based intervention, behavior management, and transition practices. This position fosters a safe school environment and addresses mental health and social issues that interfere with students' ability to access education successfully.
Specific duties include:
- This position includes school-based services in the form of:
- Social / emotional assessments.
- Planning and collaboration with teachers regarding services and interventions.
- Utilize the consultation model of services for teachers and administration.
- Develop of systems and data-tracking mechanisms for mental health progress monitoring and behavioral progress monitoring.
- Planning and implementing psycho-educational groups during the school day in both a preventative and remediation model to targeted students for whom behavior is impacting learning.
- Design and implement school-based programs to promote a positive school climate in conjunction with the school administration team.
- Utilize social work training and skills to remedy barriers to learning by providing evidence based supports to school personnel.
- Develop behavioral intervention strategies either student specific or school-wide
- Lead and train others to facilitate restorative justice circles within the school environment.
- Participate in conflict resolution and anger management as necessary in the school.
- Facilitate the functional behavioral analysis process and development of behavior intervention plans for students.
- Support internal and external Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) systems.
- Participation in appropriate MDTs.
- This position collaborates to develop and assist in implementing supports for students with:
- Facility-based education staff, Behavioral Mental Health Partners, Assessment Specialists, Client Managers.
- Behavioral Health staff and Clinical Director to Consult with facility (including clinical & behavior mental health staff) and school staff regarding the implementation of research-based interventions for students experiencing mental health and/or behavioral related concerns/issues as appropriate: which may involve modification recommendations of the classroom environment.
- Develop relationships with facility transition workers and assist with education transitions for youth.
- Develops and implements behavioral plans to create cohesive support plans between the education and milieu environments.
- This position supports the special education team by:
- Participating in and helping with the regularly scheduled team meetings.
- Consults with other team members when determining necessary formal and informal behavioral and related service assessments.
- Prepare social developmental histories for initial or re-evaluation meetings.
- Participate in Manifestation Determination meetings, Crisis Response Team meetings,
- Provide related services articulated on Individualized Education Programs and assist in co-teaching affective needs classes.
- Support 504 obligations of the school.
- Maintain direct and ongoing communication with supervisor to bolster ongoing mental health support, services, and interventions within all DYS commitment facilities.
- Identify and report special education program/systemic strengths and limitations to supervisor.
- Participate in program development activities
- Train stakeholders on topics related to school social work services as well as assigned committees designed to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Additional school based supports may include, but not limited to, interdisciplinary team problem solving, intervention plan development, school improvement planning, prevention services, teach or support affective education classes, school-related concerns such as academic achievement, bullying, harassment, misbehavior, or underachievement, and family issues.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Applicants must meet all of the requirements listed below to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must provide all supporting documents to be considered for this position.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to the work assignment.
- Two years of professional experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position.
- Current and valid CDE Licensefor School Social Worker (Special Services Provider License)
- Applicants must attach a copy of licensure to move forward in the selection process for this position.
Preferred Candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience developing, implementing, and/or monitoring educational programming, standards-based curriculum, and trauma-responsive/restorative environments.
- Emotional intelligence.
- Experience with at-risk youth.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university
Highly Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Colorado Academic Standards for K-12 education.
- Demonstrated knowledge in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to build relationships with stakeholders.
- Strong decision-making skills and follow through.
- Ability to positively and professionally interact withadministrators, staff, parents, clients, community members and the judicial system.
- Excellentoral communication skills.
- Ability to collaboratively problem solve, ask for and use feedback, and create positive culture and climate.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be 21 years old or older.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado drivers license.
- A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted as part of the selection process as this position is deemed to have direct contact with vulnerable persons. Felony convictions,conviction of crimes of moral turpitude, or convictions of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position. Should your background check reveal any charges or convictions, it is your responsibility to
Teacher Aides Job # A704-204 Location: BOCES wide Reports to: Director of Special Education Terms: Full-time, 10 months Qualifications: High School Diploma...
From Dcmo Boces - New York
Published a month ago
Posting # A704-159 Repost Special Education Instructors (Middle School) Location: Chenango Campus, Norwich, NY and Harrold Campus, Masonville, NY Reports to...
From Dcmo Boces - New York
Published a month ago
As part of our mission to pave the way for children's success worldwide, Therapy Source is currently seeking a full-time Special Education Teacher (SPED) to...
From Therapy Source - Arizona
Published 11 days ago
Soaring Eagle Academy a not for profit, ISBE approved therapeutic day school in Lombard, IL is seeking a full time SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER for 1st-5th grade...
From Soaring Eagle Academy - Illinois
Published 11 days ago