Master Teacher Great Oaks Charter School - New York City
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. Therefore, we believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model, Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
Great Oaks Design Principles
Mastery:For students to shape the world and not be defined by it, they must have deep knowledge and the ability to apply that to new contexts. Therefore, we emphasize hands-on, project-based curriculum and joyful teaching.
Leadership:The purpose of leadership is to support a vision of the world in which equity and justice are essential. Therefore, we offer leadership opportunities to students so that they can persist through challenges, plan proactively for their future, and collaborate with others.
Community:Community is predicated on the understanding that if it takes a village to raise a child, why not help raise the village. Therefore,we support the whole child in the development of healthy self-esteem and confidence through building deep relationships with others and themselves.
About Great Oaks Charter School – New York City
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School – New York opened in 2013 with a focus on serving a heterogeneous population of students. Currently, Great Oaks-New York City serves 300 students in grades 6-8. GO NYC is growing to serve students in grades 6-12by adding a one-grade level each year until we reach full enrollment. The first 9th-grade class is slated to start in 2021-2022.
Great Oaks New York City seeks Master Teachers for the 2020-2021 school year in English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Special Education.
Great Oaks Master Teachersare highly skilled, experienced urban educators with a passion and drive to improve the instructional quality of their schools by extending their impact as classroom teachers.Great Oaks Master Teachersfacilitate professional learning for colleagues and lead school-wide initiatives. By working closely with the school and the Great Oaks Foundation, Great Oaks Master Teachers support the development of their peers by mentoring early career teachers, leading teacher teams, and modeling best instructional practices.
Key responsibilities include:
Growing and mentoring young teachers by:
- ? Serving as a mentor to early and mid-career teachers
- ? Modeling, coaching and expanding on best teaching practices within their teams and across the Great Oaks faculty
- ? Collaborating with teachers across the school and Great Oaks network to build common assessments
Planning and delivering strong instruction by:
- ? Teaching a full program to middle school students
- ? Planning collaboratively with a classroom team of pedagogues and co-teaching with up to two Fellows and often a Special Educator
- ? Anchoring and leading vertical curriculum revision for their department
- ? Planning and delivering standards-based project-based learning connected to an authentic audience
Drive student outcomes by:
- ? Calibrating instruction to meet student needs accordingly, including administering and analyzing appropriate assessments to inform curriculum revision
- ? Using a wide range of engaging, rigorous pedagogical strategies to reach all students
- ? Leading department content meetings in collaboration with colleagues and serve as a liaison between administration and teacher content teams
- ? Serving as an academic and personal coach to a small group of students in an advisory role
- ? Applying knowledge of early adolescent cognitive development, learning styles, and social-emotional needs to build effective relationships with students and their families
- ? Communicating effectively with students and families about classroom activities and student progress
Content Area Expertise
The Master Teacher is responsible for the planning, delivery, and support of appropriate content and skills to students. As with all teachers, this role collaborates with the Director of Inclusive Learning to ensure all scholars are on track to high school and college success.
Competencies and Qualifications (Required):
The successful candidate will have proven success in implementing high-quality instruction to students from diverse backgrounds. They will possess exceptional relationship-building skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively to multiple stakeholders.The successful candidate will also have:
- A strong academic record with a Masters or other advanced degree in their content area
- At least 5 years of teaching experience improving student achievement with evidence of success in student outcomes based on test scores as well as other measures
- NYS 7-12 certification or out-of-state/country teaching credential
- Demonstrated expertise in curriculum adaptation and design, particularly in standards-based, project-based learning
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- A commitment to building relationships with students and families
- Demonstrated leadership experience in an academic setting
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude
- Sense of humor and a growth mindset
- An exceptional ability to respond well to and incorporate feedback
- Demonstrated expertise in utilizing literacy and numeracy strategies across the curriculum
- Demonstrated expertise in leading professional development for educators
- Track record of working across lines of difference or in diverse settings
- Demonstrated experience with collaborative learning models and team-teaching
- Evidence of previous experience mentoring or coaching early career teachers
- Evidence of deep content knowledge in the core content and utilization of pedagogical practices to students to engage with the content.
- Experience using both quantitative and qualitative data to shift instruction to reach all students.
All teachers are required to pass a background check through fingerprinting and receive security clearance to work at Great Oaks NYC.
Competencies and Qualifications (Preferred):
- 5+ years of secondary teaching experience
- Experience with special education strategies or Dual certification in Special Education
- Successful experience teaching in an urban school
- Training or certification in Wilson, Orton-Gillingham, LLI or other research-based literacy interventions
- Multilingual and/or experience working with English Language Learners
- Demonstrated experience and passion for working with students multiple levels below academic proficiency for their grade
- Demonstrated commitment to college and career readiness for all students
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
This position is for the 2020-2021 school year and the successful candidate will start in the summer of 2020. Selected candidates will be contacted to set up a phone interview.
Bloomfield School District 2 School Year Teacher Openings High School: Earth Science Middle School: Special Education Social Studies Elementary: ESL Special...
Published 25 days ago
Randolph Central School District is seeking candidates for multiple openings for the 2 school year . Elementary Teacher . Math Teacher . Special Education...
Published 25 days ago
Below is specific information for you to consider about this position. Job Title: Teacher, Special Education : ECSE Candidate Pool)and Requisition ID number...
Published 25 days ago
Below is specific information for you to consider about this position. Job Title: Teacher, Special Education Candidate Pool)and Requisition ID number: 5823...
Published 25 days ago